Tuesday, May 28, 2013

2013 Ford Explorer Base DIY Backup Camera

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Base SUV. I have been wanting to install a rear view camera, and finally got to it. Here is a review of how I accomplished this.

The whole project took me about 1.5 hours, but that's because I had to figure out what, where and how I was going to run the wires, put the camera etc.

Equipment Installed: Both Bought at Amazon.com

  • Camera - Night Vision Parking Car Rear View Wide Angle LED Reversing CMOS Camera  $25.94
  • LCD Monitor - RCA AV Color 4.3 Inch LCD TFT Monitor Screen $15.70 

**FYI - There are no wires for the original OEM camera**
**FYI- The power wire is not long enough, will need to run additional low voltage cable**
**FYI- The Video Cable was able to reach my dash with no problem**

1 Here is a picture of what the back looks like without the camera.

2. I decided to place the camera where the original OEM camera goes. There is a plastic cover, covering the        hole of the original OEM camera. Right between the "LO" in EXPLORER.

3. I took all of the rear door plastic covers off. They just pop out, so you will have to pull a bit hard to get them off. 

4. In order to get the big cover off, you need to remove the handle first. There is a cover on the handle and inside there are two 5/16 I believe bolts. Remove those first and you will have no problem removing the rest.



5. In order to remove the EXPLORER trim, you have to remove the four bolts that are underneath the trim outside and inside, it has two more bolts.

6. Here is an inside and bottom view of where the OEM camera goes and the cover in place now.


7. I removed the cover and that's where I decided to mount my camera. 
8. Here are some pictures of the camera.


9. Here is the camera mounted to the plastic cover, covering the OEM hole. As you will see, I did make a small cut to fit the wire into the trim. Then I found out it was backwards. **double check your work**



10. So, here it is the right way. 

11. I had to cut the right hand side screw, in order to get it to fit into the hole. Also, I used screws and those metal clips to hold the screws. (don't know what the metal clips are called, I just had them)

12. Here is the camera mounted to the trim and what it looks from the inside. 


13. I then had to figure out how to get the wires into the Vehicle. So, I decided the best way (other than drilling holes) would be to use what was there already. There is a hole, where the License plates light wires come out. So I took that out. I also had to remove the wires from the trim. It's easy to put back together. 
14. Here is the wire from the license plate lights. 

15. I decided to cut the plastic so that I could fit the wire coming from the camera into the vehicle. I then taped the plastic and the other wires with the camera wires. 

16. Here is what it looks like put together from the inside. 
17. This is the camera mounted to the trim. (no power yet)

18. Since it's a backup camera, I decided I wanted the camera to turn on while the vehicle was put in reverse. I took the two bolts for the face of the back left lights. 
 19. I then pulled the whole lighting case out. I was trying to figure out where I was going to connect my power wires for the camera.
20. Found this plastic covering the hole and it had wires coming out of the vehicle. 

21. I have a box of low voltage cable, so I decided to use that to connect my camera. I ran the cable from a hole found on the left hand side. Just take the plastic panel off. 

22. I was then able to feed trough the hole of where the light wire go through. 

23. I then made a small hole on the plastic cover and ran the wire through there. 

 24. I found the wires going to my rear lights, then spliced the cables from the side closer to the hole, where they come through. I used the blue and black that were side by side.


 25. I then  had to figure out how to run my wires from within the cabin into the rear door. I followed the existing cables and found this right on top of the door.
26. I took both ends out and made a small cut to the bottom of the plastic and decided to run my wires from the inside of the cabin out to the door. I ran all the wires through the ceiling. **FYI- I did split the power wire inside the cabin, so that I could run power for my monitor as well.**

27. I then forgot about my video cable so I ran another small piece of low voltage cable so I could then attach my video cable to it and use it as a guide, because the ends of the video cable are thicker is harder to get through the whole without a guide.

 28. I had to use needle nose pliers to open the hole wider so that the thickness of the video cable could go through. Once it went through, it was all simple to run out to the camera.
29. Here I plugged the power and video cables to the other ends. I put tape around them, so they would not come apart or create a short. 

30. Here is the camera mounted and ready to go on the Explorer. 
31. I also ran wires from the backup lights to my monitor, all of these cables went from the back to the front through the edge of the left hand ceiling. 
I could have probably found a fuse to the backup lights, but didn't have time or wanted to mess around with the switch box. So I just split the cable inside the cabin and one went to the camera and the other to the Monitor. 

Now they both turn on when I put it in reverse, of course it takes about a second for the monitor to turn on, but the picture quality is very clear and in HD. It has a wide angle as well. I will post a picture of the Monitor in reverse later on. 



**FYI - If you can get a rear view mirror with an LED monitor built into it, then that would by my best option, though I could not find a cheap one with a good review on amazon. If you find one let me know.**

Thanks for viewing. Hope you enjoyed it. Stay tuned for my next project which will be installing fog lights and the OEM light switch to turn them on. 










21 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a very clean work, and such a brilliant demonstration, I also have a base explorer 2012, i found one rear view mirror monitor(Boss) 100$, included license plate camera also, got it installed by Best Buy geeks because I had no idea on how to do it, paid 100$ for installation. I think they also installed in the same way you did, anyway its clean and never had any problems yet, its been 2 years now. Also installed the fog lights, bought a OEM model from e-bay and again got it installed by Best Buy, but not satisfied with the lights, can't even know they are On, so dim lights,also didn't change the original switch, just used the switch that came with the after market fog lights, but no problems yet. please provide a link of how you did the fog lights.

    Thanks for sharing,

    N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I still have not installed the fog lights. I still need to buy the parts, but as soon as i get them installed, i will post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought an OEM set of fog lights and mounting brackets for my 2014 base model Explorer on eBay and had them mounted by buddy. He connected them to the parking lights, which works perfectly as the fog lights come on any time the parking lights are on (this includes when the headlights are on).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great. I was thinking of purchasing a light switch with the fog light option, but that seems like too much work. I might do just that. How much were the brackets? I know I can get them from rockauto.com for: $16.35 each.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its Really Great Post! Thanks for sharing :)
    Car Back Camera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I am still working on getting my fog lights installed. But thinking maybe, instead of putting the OEM kind or model, why not use LED's somehow. So still thinking of the master plan.

      Delete
  6. I have a 2013 base as well. Is there a way to tie it to the existing LCD on the dash for the radio or is that too low res?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen,

      at the time of my installation I was thinking the same thing. I actually did/have not opened the middle console, to check the connections for the LCD. I would like to say it might be possible, but I can't verify until I have actually checked. I have 2 months off from work, and on that time, I will check and reply back to your answer.

      Although, if you check before I do, can you email me some pics of what it looks like, and see if we can hook the camera to the LCD screen?

      Thanks,

      Delete
  7. Great Post! I followed your example with one minor change and it worked perfectly. Thanks. Instead of running the video cable above I ran it below along the left side

    ReplyDelete
  8. It worked great cause at the bottom of the driver side panelling there is power so I could easily splice the power for the monitor into one of the existing wires. Also it's a little bit cleaner as you only see the wire from the monitor. All in all this post was awesome. Let me k ow if you add anything else. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. D, I am glad you liked the post and that it was able to help you do the same to your vehicle.

    I made a change. I put the LCD, on the on the windshield. I will update the post later on today ot tomorrow, on where I placed it. It looks way better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. have you done the foglights? if so can you post a link?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not yet. I will soon though. Just have not had much time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not yet. I will soon though. Just have not had much time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. Great thread. By using your instructions, I just installed a back up camera in my 2013 Ford Explorer. Thanks for the great info and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear this was useful to you. How long did it take to install your camera?

      Delete
  14. Great post. Thanks! Any idea yet if the built in LCD for the radio on the 2013 Base model would work with the camera?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I got rid of the explorer now. SO, I will not know if it was. LOL.

      Delete
  15. Where did you get it from. Regards

    ReplyDelete